quinta-feira, 23 de abril de 2015

Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith

Girl Meets BoyGirl Meets Boy by Ali Smith
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Fragments and some unrelated scenes tolds in the first person by two sisters.

Ali Smith surprises from the beginning, she is able of "writing" the story inside our heads, more than in the paper lines, she has a soft, natural, queer approach, evoking almost automatically Virginia Woolf's "Orlando". For example, it is evening, grandfather sits his two granddaughters in the lap, grandmother nearby, and starts telling them stories of his youth, when he was a girl; or when Anthea falls in love with Robin, while she is climbing down a ladder after painting a bold protest phrase in the façade of corporate headquarters:“He was the most beautiful boy I had ever seen in my life. But he really looked like a girl. She was the most beautiful boy I’d ever seen in my life.
And it's not just about the loves of the two sisters, it is also about the ambiance of Scotland, the strangeness of London and Englishness, work ethics and political protest, and more... all painted in our minds with a few beautiful strokes.

My first book of Ali Smith, yes, first, because it will not be the last, for sure!


View all my reviews

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário

Nota: só um membro deste blogue pode publicar um comentário.